Gel Stains are heavy-bodied and do not penetrate as deeply into the wood as liquid oil-based stains do, providing the deepest, richest colors of any oil based stain available.
General Finishes Gel Stain
- USE: Interior only
- SHEEN: Satin
- PREP SANDING BAREWOOD: 120-150 grit on bare wood. See our sanding video to determine the best sanding grit for the most common wood species.
- COATS: 1-2 (additional coats can be applied to deepen color)
- RECOAT: See application instructions
- CURE TIME: 30 days under ideal conditions (70 degrees and 70% humidity). However, this may vary slightly with humidity & temperature. Good ventilation, air movement and higher temperatures will accelerate dry time.Dry time and cure time are totally unrelated. During the curing process protect your flat surfaces and avoid placing any heavy items on horizontal surfaces or sliding anything across the surface.
- APPLICATION METHOD: Wipe on, natural bristle brush, foam brush, or paint pad applicator
- TOPCOAT: Gel Satin, Arm-R-Seal, High Performance
- CLEANUP: Mineral Spirits
- COVERAGE: 200 sq.ft/qt
- STORAGE: Always store product in temperature controlled space. Partially used oil based products will start to oxidize with contact with air, forming a film or hardening. Gel stains will harden faster than most.