Winner of Fine Woodworking's Best Overall Choice Award, High Performance Topcoat was voted as the hardest, most durable consumer polyurethane topcoat.
General Finishes High Performance Top Coat
- Winner of Fine Woodworking's Best Overall Choice Award, High Performance Top Coat is the hardest, most durable consumer polyurethane top coat on the market today.
- It contains a UV Stabilizer to retard the finish from breaking down in sunlight. And with its pure polyurethane durability, it can even be used on floors. This is the most durable product.
- Colors: Water White (dries clear). Note: Water topcoats can pull tannins, stains and dyes from surfaces that are not properly prepped.
- Sheens: Flat, satin, semi-gloss, gloss
- Recoat/Dry Time: 2-3 hours
- Number of coats: 3-4
- Dry time for light use: 7 days. Good ventilation, air movement and higher temperatures will accelerate cure time. Cooler temperatures will slow cure time.
- Cure time: Light use (7-10 days), Regular use (21 days) under ideal conditions (70 degrees and 70% humidity). Good ventilation, air movement and higher temperatures will accelerate dry time. Cooler temperatures will slow cure time. Cure time is the amount of time needed for the finish on a piece to reach maximum hardness and be ready for normal use. This is different than "dry time." This is different than "dry time." During the curing stage, treat your project with special care. Avoid placing heavy objects on it. Always avoid the use furniture polishes, dusting sprays or oil soaps as they may contaminate the finish for future recoating. Use a water dampened cloth for regular cleaning.
- Water Spills and Daily Use: Clean water spills up as they occur during regular use and protect from heat. Although General Finishes products are water resistant, they are not impervious to water. Surfaces will not be damaged by spilled water so long as it is cleaned up promptly. We recommend using coasters to protect your wood from standing water and pot holders to protect from heat.
- Cleaning your finish: Clean with a water-damp rag. Do not clean until the finish has cured completely (21 days). If your surface requires deep cleaning due to grease or grime, add a speck of detergent or a bit of vinegar. Avoid using oil-soap or silcone-based daily cleaners such as Pledge, Endust or Murphy's Oil.
- Applicator Cleanup: Warm, soapy water. For best results, clean all equipment with General Finishes Brush and Gun Cleaner.
- Coverage: 150 sq ft/qt
- Can Sizes: Pint, Quart, Gallon
- Sheens: Flat, Satin, Semi-Gloss, Gloss
- Recommended Use: Interior use only, Wood applications
- Topcoat Recommendation: High Performance is self sealing and can be used alone, but it can also be used with GFs Sanding Sealer